Sunday, June 1, 2008

W4D1 Woot!

I am SO relieved at how today's run went.

I didn't post in this community or my personal journal regarding W3D3 because I was so annoyed with the end result of that run. Let me recap. It started off great, and showed such promise. I was in the last run segment and still had no ankle pain to speak of. I was already anticipating posting here about the fabulous achievement of having 3 pain-free runs in a row. And then...my downfall. I was coming up on the last minute of the last run segment and this dude came up running behind me and basically flew by me, which I didn't mind. But I though of the way some of you mention sprinting full-out for the last minute, and I decided to give it a go. My legs were not prepared for this and I had a hard time getting them to speed up, but I did it and felt accomplished. Until...bam! There was the ankle pain I had been so carefully and painstakingly keeping at bay by slowing my pace down. As soon as I started walking for my cool-down my ankle started up with that familiar twinge. So that basically continued to varying degrees of severity for the entire .7 mile cool-down and my walk home. I was PISSED. So annoyed with myself for not sticking to the slower pace and putting my progress in jeopardy like that.

Anyway, that was Saturday and both ankles felt tired and slightly achey for the next few days. I should have done W4D1 Monday or Tuesday but I put it off to today to give my ankle some extra time to chill out and recover. I was so apprehensive that today would be a disaster and that the pain would be back in full force. During my 5 minute warm-up walk to the loch I kept telling myself "It's really OK if you have to stop today. It is NOT a disaster. You just need to listen to your body and not allow your ego to take control." So with much trepidation, I did my stretches and started out.

And it was fabulous! Did almost all of the running on the grass and walked on the pavement. A little bit of tiredness in the ankle but no pain and it didn't even hurt on the walk home. I am so happy and relieved! I didn't want a serious set back. Of course, there's still two more days this week and week five is where I encountered real problems with that ankle last time but still. Today was a success and I'm gonna celebrate!

Oh, and today was the 10th Vibram Fivefingers run. I'm liking running in them more and more. And I got my first audible comment on them today (surprised it hasn't happened before). I passed a couple of teenage girls and one of them went "Look at her shoes! Her toes!" It made me laugh. :)