Friday, March 14, 2008

Unbuilding an Art.

In my sculpture work I have been powerfully influenced by the architectural decay and ruin I see around me daily in Philadelphia; and also by images of creative reconstruction, vernacular architecture, and hand-built solutions. A narrative has been emerging in the work of a society which is simultaneously destroying itself and rebuilding itself - of communities buckling under the relentless press of oppression and violence, and  at the same time a population creating the conditions for a new world, through  the inherent and  unbreakable reality of human love, flexible intelligence, and drive to create in the face of destruction.


(one of my "colony" sculptures)

This story I've been trying to tell (whether explicit or buried) are reflective of my hope that as we see the destruction of our environment (natural, emotional, mental) unfold, we are also seeing that everywhere, foundations for a (dare I say) post-capitalist, post-racist, post-colonial economy and society are being built. As with everywhere and nature: death and birth are inextricably linked and mutually dependent.

I really struggle with questions in my work about my use of these images of destruction around me though. It can be easy to use an image of broken house in my metaphors; I wasn't the person who lost that house in a fire, I wasn't the person living in that house with the huge hole in the roof. These are real places, and they weren't destroyed to inspire my art. I wonder if my work should be more overtly political and specific to political events or stories, and yet I fear that doing so would actually lessen the power of the work which comes (at least, I hope) from its ability to tell a larger story or reflect multiple realities.

And then again, the role of the artist is to go ahead and make the metaphor, to go ahead and look, and feel in response to the events around us, to bear witness, and create: an inherently hopeful act. And to not let our guilt get in our way. Time usually tells if we got out of our own way enough to make work with real lasting and radical power in it. I have a long way to go I think.


Michael Rakowitz, paraSITE

All this to say, I have been expanding my research lately and finding some interesting things.

UNBUILT "After destruction through war or any other inhumane deployment of technology, capital and energy, we are left with sites, minds and societies unbuilt. Leveled to the ground. Making room for denial, doubt and a devided society. Understandable but unacceptable. This condition needs those who dare to envision perspectives beyond the ruins..."

A.I PRISHTINA "Beirut, Kabul, Grozny, Prishtina, these and quite a few others are the cities that today are facing an enormous challenge: to reinvent themselves again after conflict. Very often the conflict still slumbers. Most of the time there is a complete lack of public bodies with the capacity and jurisdiction to enforce law. And always there is a profound crisis of confidence in the public dimension of urban life. Archis Interventions, a not for profit branch of Archis Foundation . . . has set itself on a course to provide cities with clues and concepts to revive the public domain, to re-energize its urban spirit and to revitalize their trust in dialogue as the essence of civic life. Out of this ideal, Archis Interventions starts its activities in Prishtina."

WOCHENKLAUSER "Since 1993 and on invitation from different art institutions, the artist group WochenKlausur develops concrete proposals aimed at small, but nevertheless effective improvements to socio-political deficiencies. Proceeding even further and invariably translating these proposals into action, artistic creativity is no longer seen as a formal act but as an intervention into society."

CONTINENTAL DRIFT

WORLD WAR 2 COLOR PHOTOS

BLDGBLOG

Oh, and a ton more. But I'll add them to this blog in bits and pieces.