Sunday, June 1, 2008

couch_to_5k @ 2008-04-30T16:20:00

Hi! I'm Lauren and I'm new to both this community and Couch to 5K. I'm on W2D2 after starting out very slowly (I did W1 for 3 weeks). I was never someone who exercised or ever even thought about exercise so I wanted to make sure I was absolutely ready to move on before I attempted W2. I'm happy to say that it went great! I've always imagined myself saying, "I'm a runner" and maybe it will eventually be true. The more I do this, the more I look forward to it. I have a few questions for you more seasoned runners, though.

1. When I tell people (family, friends) that I plan to make running a part of my life, I'm met with negativity sometimes. I've heard that it's especially tough on the body and that walking long distances is better. I get bored with walking and I find jogging/running to be much more enjoyable. What do you think about walking vs. running being hard on the body?

2. I've been experiencing shin splints. I've googled this quite a bit and I think it's either my shoes, my form or both. The shoes I plan to take care of very soon. I want to get a new, properly fitted pair. But the form I'm having some trouble with. I've read conflicting things about how to land on the foot. Some say land on the heel while others say that you should land on the middle or ball of the foot and then push off with the toes. I find the shin splints are much worse when I run heel to toe. Do you know any decent websites that illustrate good form?

Thanks for any help!